Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My Obsession with Menu Planning Part Deux :-)

So a few weeks ago I revealed to the world my obsession with menu planning and how it all started. So I had a few people ask me , "How?" this past week. As I was talking and sharing menu ideas I remembered a key event that shaped our families' palate. When our eldest son was just a toddler I was with another Mom on a playdate-she was a little more seasoned than I was. It came time for lunch and I began cutting the crusts off of Isaac's sandwich because it was the part he didn't like. She asked me why I was doing that. "Well he doesn't like them", I replied--almost annoyed at having to state the obvious. "But, if you cut his crusts now--you'll always have to--he'll never learn how to like them", she said. Suddenly, my whole future flashed before me. I knew we wanted more children--so I envisioned a world where my days were consumed with cutting the crusts off everyone's little sandwiches. I envisioned adult children coming to visit me for lunch and with my feeble, arthritic hands--still cutting their crusts off their sandwiches. Granted, I have a lively imagination, but her comment served it's purpose. I knew from experience that children will learn to eat whatever they are given. I'm happy to say I don't cut the crusts off anyones sandwiches and from the time they could eat solid food the kids had whole grain bread--get them hooked on that Wonder bread and you'll be wondering what you did. When my husband and I got married he thought he was being a health nut when he sat down to a bowl of iceberg lettuce--which he called "salad". I have over the years "converted" him in many ways too by learning to prepare the foods he claimed disdain for in new, fresh ways. We're still working on broccoli. However--even with the broccoli barrier I regularly fix it for our kids and myself. If I only cooked to one person's limited palate and likes then our growing boys with their growing palates would never learn to appreciate a variety. Variety is the key to health! Did you know that fruits and vegetables of different colors are rich in different vitamins and minerals. When the annoying nutrition police ( myself included) tell you to "Eat a rainbow everyday" there is a sound rationale behind it. I saw an interview with an author a few months ago, to a book entitled "French Kids Eat Everything". The obesity rate for the French is markedly less than ours. While I haven't had time to read the book yet, the point of the interview was that French parents do not make special food for their kids. They are not whipping up sides of mac & cheese and hot dogs because their kids won't eat the Potato and kale soup. The food is placed in front of you and that is it. Hmm. I like it--that's how we roll. Everyone in our family has chosen 1 item they absolutely disdain they are allowed to say, "no thanks" and leave it to the side. For Peter it is broccoli, for me--it is plain scrambled eggs. I like my eggs to hold lots of veggies together. I see them more as a binder and carrying vehicle for the other stuff. For Caleb--he really doesn't like gravy, which is fine with me. Logan despises bananas. I tried to push this issue once and the texture made him lose some of his breakfast--so he continues to have bananas on his list. Isaac can't stand mushrooms. Now, I still cook with all the above ingredients--it's just that the person who doesn't like those items is allowed a "free pass" if you will--but just on that ONE item. It's worked--you'd be amazed the variety of foods kids learn to like when it is simply a family expectation that they will eat what they are given gratefully. So here is this weeks menu: Sunday- I made a baked chicken with all the comfy fixings, potatoes, salad, steamed carrots Monday- On Sunday PM I shredded the leftover chicken, boiled the carcass and made homemade stock for a future soup and froze the stock. To the shredded chicken I added black beans and rice, diced chilis in anticipation of Monday PM. After working in the am, and coaching cross country in the afternoon I came home and made burritoes out of the chicken mixture--adding salsa, romaine lettuce, shredded cheese and sour cream to whole wheat flour tortillas. It was easy, healthy and quick after a long day. Although I didn't have a lot of chicken left--I mixed it with rice and beans which makes a complete protein. After dinner I started Tuesdays meal so all I have to do after teaching gym and cross country this afternoon is pop it in the oven. Tuesday-- Tonight is shepherds pie. However, I make it a little different-- I sautee ground turkey and an onion and mix with onion soup mix, frozen corn, chopped frozen spinach and mushrooms. The onion soup mix makes a nice gravy. I boiled potatoes with skin and all. The skin contains lots of fiber and minerals....never get rid of it unless you have to. Now, because mushrooms are on Isaac's list I did make him a small crock and serving size without mushrooms--but that's ok, because it's the only item he's allowed to pass on. Chopped frozen spinach can be added to almost EVERY casserole and it looks like herbs--it rarely affects the flavor, but greatly improves the vitamin content of whatever you are cooking. I add it to spaghetti sauces, just about every casserole, and soups/stews at the last minute when fresh kale is not available. Wednesday--leftover extravaganza-- Mama works late Thursday--Baked Tilapia, rice and red beans (complete protein) and steamed veg medley Friday--meatball stew--Crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, carrots, celery, onions, black beans, chopped green cabbage and meatballs--your recipe or frozen, garlic, chili powder, paprika thrown in a crockpot all day and eaten with homemade whole wheat bread from a bread machine after our cross country meet Friday PM. It's one of the kids favorite stews. Saturday--would be homemade pizza night but we have special plans this weekend. Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment