Thursday, October 1, 2009

Giggling Dreams

Logan just giggled in his sleep. As I sat in the quiet wee hours of this chilly morning, ushering in October--I wondered what fanciful thought would make an almost seven year old boy giggle in his sleep. Most assuredly there were Legos involved. Had one of his Lego "guys" parachuted into a marshmallow field? Had they hunkered down to spy their enemies amid clouds of chocolate mist? Were they doing flips in Lego moon buggies he'd created, over mounds of macaroni and cheese? Had he finally worked out a problem in his head--as he spends hours manipulating all the Legos in his creations, always the perfectionist, never quite satisfied. I guess I will never know.

I'm sure when I have to wake him for school, and I ask him about his dreams he will long since have forgotten all the wonderful things that were floating around his beautiful head of tousled curls. He will stare wistfully at me with those big pools of brown eyes not knowing what I'm talking about. He'll utter something about the evils of structured education and how he just wants to be a Lego Designer and he doesn't need to go to school because he already knows how to do that. Then I'll
tell him that I know he's a good Lego designer, but he needs to know how to read and write well so he can write the directions to his models, and he needs to know math so he can keep track of the money he'll make from his models. It satisfies his seven year old ambitions just long enough so my sleepy babe can stagger down to his awaiting bowl of Cheerios.

I may never know why my youngest son just giggled in his sleep, but I will relish it. I have lived nearly half my life now and have seen and gone through many things. I have had wonderful dreams and smiled in my sleep, and I have lived through nightmares and awakened to my pillow wet with tears. I'm so grateful that Logan's life is safe and carefree enough right now that he can giggle in his sleep. Sleep Well and God Bless my Baby.

1 comment:

  1. %~} he is the joy of my life! thank you for giving me someone to love this much!!!

    ReplyDelete