Friday, September 25, 2009

The Perfect Christmas Tree

The Perfect Christmas Tree

Every year I gaze up at our Christmas tree with the twinkling lights and think to myself, “I think this is the most beautiful tree yet!” Of course a Christmas tree is not just a finished product, symbolic of the season. It is a process. Part of the magic of the Christmas tree is the experience of obtaining it.
In “lean” years in the past we have obtained a Christmas tree off some property relatives own on old farmlands. We would trudge through the fields looking for the perfect tree. At best there was usually one side appropriate for display. The rest could be filled in with evergreen garland and a menagerie of ornaments to fill the gaping voids the tree had developed as it singularly braved the elements, while its fine manicured counterparts were getting TLC in Christmas tree spas across the state. But even in those times we have been enamored with our scraggly “Charlie Brown” tree.
Some Christmas tree farms make the whole experience into a wonderful family outing, with hot chocolate and goodies to share. It’s always more pleasant when there is a soft blanket of snow covering the frozen tundra when you’re on an expedition to pick out the perfect tree, not too deep; But just enough to give you the feel of winter, and put you in the Christmas spirit. I relish just enough nip in the air to give your frosty fingers a warm hug as they grasp the hot chocolate mug and as the warm gooey marshmallow sticks to your chin.
My least favorite part of the whole process is the, “leveling of the tree.” I’m in charge of making sure it’s straight, while my husband crouches down under the tree and makes the necessary adjustments. Since I’m much more inclined to literary endeavors than geometry, my judgment is inevitably off. My poor husband will crawl out of the evergreen cave under the tree, utter that sigh of disappointment and crawl back under to make up for my lack of perception.
However, I may be onto something. When you have children you have to account for the concept of “Clumping”. They seem to get fixated on one branch and most of the ornaments they select end up there. It’s the parent’s job to distribute the weight of the ornaments evenly so the tree angel, perched on her evergreen thrown, doesn’t go plummeting to the floor kamikaze style. When you account for clumping, the tree always ends up leaning one way anyways. If we could only set it in the tree stand to offset the weight of the ornaments, then we could have the “perfect” Christmas tree.
We have a small train that goes around our Christmas tree. My husband purchased it about 6 years ago. As the festive chime of the cash register went, “Ka-Ching” he eloquently reasoned it was for the kids. At the time we only had one son who was barely walking. I shook my head knowingly and played along with the charade. My husband has had lots of fun running that train every year. But in many ways I think that is the key to why every year the trees look more beautiful. It’s those annual traditions that become part of your families’ identity, a faithful part of who you are.
Christmas is steeped with tradition, and for us, remembering Christ’s birth and what he did for mankind. Each year there are layers of memories that are added to this event. Every year more home made ornaments from the kids find their way to our tree. Each year as we gaze at the tree, there is a greater history to recount. More answered prayers, more trials endured. There is a greater realization of what an unspeakable gift the world was given.
So perhaps I am not looking at a Christmas tree that is indeed more beautiful than any other year. I am just looking through eyes that have seen one more year of our families’ story unfolding; one more year of a ship tossed at sea with its anchor holding fast. And though clumps of shining ornaments may weigh down one side of our tree, and there may be holes in the greenery, or an occasional burnt out bulb, it still looks perfect to me. I can’t help but wonder if that is what God sees when he looks at us in our inadequacy. I am grateful for the annual reminder of this miracle. Merry Christmas and God Bless Every One.



Kimberly Mihelich

No comments:

Post a Comment